ACTS has supported ALTERnativity to produce an advent resource for 2019. A link to download the resource is at the bottom of the article.
ALTER nativity want to encourage people to get back to the heart of the Christmas message, God being born amongst us to proclaim a new way: the way of liberation, freedom and justice for all peoples.
• Too many people are living in grinding poverty, denied basic freedoms and rights.
• Climate change is displacing people from their land as erratic weather makes traditional farming increasingly untenable.
How we celebrate Christmas in a world where so many of our sisters and brothers are hungry is a constant challenge to us as people of faith.
With this challenge before us, at ALTER nativity we want to find ways to help people think through their actions at Christmas and yet still have a joyful, meaningful and fun celebration.
In preparing for Christmas we encourage people to consider:
• What does it mean that God became human?
• How do we see the holy family as real people, coping with change, pressure and joy?
• Can we resist the pressure to over-spend?
• How do we respond to Mary's concern for the poor?